In this month's issue of Superman, he saves a cat stuck in a tree.
It seems that saving cats in trees is something superheroes have done since time immemorial. And frankly, it's a big help to us. While we're turning rivers into RC Cola and making kids fatter, they're gettin' scratched by little Mittens because he doesn't like big' ol mean people! It's kind of nice.
But let's be honest. The rumor that DC Comics put the kibosh on an issue that featured a Muslim character because Superman saved a cat in it? That should have happened. Because saving cats is played out. There are more interesting things superheroes can do. Cat-related things, even! Here are some ideas for you, comics publishers, some of which you've even used in the past!
- Protecting dead cats from street thugs while hallucinating
- Cats as weapons
- Cats as fashion accessories
- Maybe create a superhero who has cats for hands
- Cat-Tin America (call us, Marvel)
- Get The Atom or whoever to help Maru get in that tiny box
- An entire issue in which Peter Parker has to take care of his girlfriend's cat and then he gets called away to be Spider-Man so he forgets to clip its claws and has to come up with some sort of explanation that she only half believes
- Like that Inhumans dog, but a cat
- A cat Star Sapphire to be Dex-starr's frenemy
- A summer event called "Cat-Tastrophe"
- Visible bouts of "Cat Scratch Fever"